2005-09-21

Blogging Blues

My problems with this blog site:

1) I can't edit people's "comments". All I can do is delete them. I would like the capacity to edit "Comments" the way that I edit the Posts themselves.

2) I can't assign each Post to catagories. Thus I and visitors cannot view a list of all the "Affirmative Action" Posts. The blog cafehayek.typepad.com has this. Without it, people can really only see the Posts that have been recently updated. Nobody will ever search the "archives" since they group posts according to most recent update (or creation date?), which is an organizational non-starter. For example, if I recall that Tom published a Post about killing all white people, unless somebody had recently added a comment to it, how could I search for it? There's no way to do this by trying to recall, "When did Tom post that? Was it Nov. 2003?" Imagine instead that the blog editor had assigned it to the catagory, "Race Matters."

3) I wish the Create Comment feature included a header for the author to write an overview. That way if there are 100 comments, and you "hide" the comments so that you see only a stack of 100 entries, instead of only seeing the poster's name, you also see each comment's header. The editor of the blog can modify these headers to ensure that they make sense. This is the case for the reader blog at slate.com.

4) I wish that we had "nested comments" so that users could "comment on a comment". The reader blog at slate.com has this also. Without this feature, imagine a string of 50 comments, with some of them refering back to previous comments. In our current enviornment, we have to copy and paste from previous comments in order for readers to understand which of Nadir's stupid comments we are exploding.

5) I want a button that lets visitors request membership in the blog.

Without the above improvements, this blog site isn't too much better than email.

6 comments:

Paul Hue said...

6) I find it very difficult to navigate these blogs, especially as a blog editor, where I have more actions to perform. When I got some spam comments, it took me quite a while to figure out how to delete them, and if I get some more, I will have to figure it out again.

Is there a better blog site than blogger.com? I am most unhappy!

Paul Hue said...

How bad is blogger.com? Well, as as soon as our vigorous email discussion switched to blogger.com, our discussion has died.

Nadir said...

Our discussion has died because people now have to choose to visit the blogsite. With email, you are forced to make a decision. You either read the mail or save it for later, but you had to do something.

2 comments: 1)I miss our discussions. They were thought-provoking and fun.

2)I am getting a lot more work done now that we are using the blog. I'm not spending all my time reading emails or searching for news. I'm actually working, which is what my work day is supposed to be for.

Nadir said...

Yes, I know that was bad grammar.

Paul Hue said...

I think that the blog site we have chosen is a poor one, and that if we had a better blog service, we would have more discussions. I think that this blog service is a discussion-killer, for the reasons that I outlined.

Nadir said...

Maybe we should be using a forum like this one
http://www.distortedsoul.com/board