2005-09-29

Hitchens is a hack, but not all conservative writers are

In a recent comment, I dismissed Christopher Hitchens as a hack, forgetting only to add the modifier "vulgar." I was accused of thinking all conservative writers are hacks, because I disagree with them. Here is my reply:

I disagree with almost everything William Safire has written, and find his "On Language" stuff overrated; but I consider him the master of the 1000-word politics column. I agree with Molly Ivins often, I assume; I'm not sure, because I find her unreadable. I can't read those media-obsessed writers in the Nation: Eric Alterman, David Corn, et al. I deplore the existence of Frank Rich. I object to Robert Kaplan's idea fixe that U.S. power is the answer to all the world's problems; but find him an honest, clear-eyed writer from who one can learn things. Balkan Ghosts should be required reading. Kaplan has the sense of history, of tragedy, that so much right-wing writing lacks, including the stuff here. I think Jared Diamond places way too much faith in corporations as engines of change, but I think everybody should get his or her hands on Collapse and read it. I think the greatest newspaper in English is not the NY Times or the (London) Guardian, but rather the Wall Street Journal--followed not so closely by the Financial Times. (The left's allergy to learning about economics/finance is crippling.) The rigor of the WSJ's news coverage more than outweighs the philistinism of its editorial pages.
But all those guys who come on Fox TV and shout? Don't be embarrassing. They're hacks.

2 comments:

Paul Hue said...

Tom: Please define the word "hack", and how Hitchens qualifies as one. I am very curious to understand how Hitchens is one and Safire is not. Do you believe that Hitchens is changing his views in order to gain favors, money, or attention? Do you believe that he doesn't really believe some of his espoused views?

I agree with the need for leftists to learn economics, but I do not understand how your knowlege of economics has led you to the left. I think that even many on the right don't understand economics, since so many conservatives have supported "anti-price gouging legislation." Perhaps these conservatives are hacks, supporting dumb laws because they know that "the people" are too stupid and lazy to learn basic economic theory and figure out the most efficient way to get goods and services into desperate situations.

Paul Hue said...

The latest Hithcy commentary offers profound evidence against any charge of Hacksterism:

http://www.slate.com/id/2127343/?nav=navoa

Let's all try to catch him Friday on Bill Mahr, where he will appear with his adversary.