2005-12-20

9/11: Missing Black Boxes in World Trade Center Attacks Found by Firefighters, Analyzed by NTSB, Concealed by FBI

One of the more puzzling mysteries of 9-11 is what ever happened to the flight recorders of the two planes that hit the World Trade Center towers. Now it appears that they may not be missing at all.

A source at the National Transportation Safety Board, the agency that has the task of deciphering the date from the black boxes retrieved from crash sites-including those that are being handled as crimes and fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI-says the boxes were in fact recovered and were analyzed by the NTSB.

"Off the record, we had the boxes," the source says. "You'd have to get the official word from the FBI as to where they are, but we worked on them here."

The cockpit voice recorders, which should have the last 30 minutes of cockpit coversations on them, would be evidence that either supports the official story, or refutes it. Why do you suppose they are being hidden?


1 comment:

Paul Hue said...

Nadir: I don't know if this story is true about the black boxes being recovered but made secret. This report from "counterpunch" references only itself, so we are left only with the credability of "counterpunch". Has any of this been reported in a standard publication? With only "counterpunch"'s claims, I am unconvinced that this is true. I dealt with this when I edited that AIDS publication, Rethinking Aids. If I were the editor of counterpunch, I would attribute every claim such as "the government says it hasn't found the black boxes" to specific issues of the NYT, for example. And if any information came from my interviewing somebody, I qualified the comments with, "in an interview with RA...", and I provided a means by which the readers could contact the interviewee.

The claims made by counterpunch may be true, and I am curious; I do not dismiss them out of hand. But I am not certain that they are true.

In any case, if the boxes were found and released, and all the information from them coincided with the "official" accounts (as documented in Time, NYT, Newsweek, etc.), I am sure that this would do absolutely nothing to quell the conspiracy theories.

If you can show me a Time or NYT article documenting that these boxes haven't been found, and that experts say this is unlikely to be true, then I also will be curious to know why the government has not released their contents. But I will not assume that this is evidence in support of various hypotheses such as "Bush knew" or even prepped the WTC towers with explosives. Oftentimes big agencies are just stupidly secrative, like our friend who works at the CIA who needlessly acts so secretive about it, which only promotes needless interest and speculation.