2007-03-20

Houses cheaper than cars in Detroit

"Realtor Ron Walraven had a three-bedroom house in the suburb of Bloomfield Hills that had listed for $525,000 sell for just $130,000 at the auction.

"Once we've seen the last person leave Michigan, then I think we'll be able to say we've seen the bottom," he said."

Yep, our Governor's gonna tax her way out of this mess I guess, eh? So let me get this straight; people and businesses are leaving the state in a type of mass-exodus we haven't seen around here since the early 80's and Granholm's solution is to punish those of us who choose to stay and stick it out by raising our taxes? That's supposed to encourage people and businesses to stick around? That's supposed to stem the flow of emigrating Michiganders? How the did this woman get re-elected? Is it simply that she's easy on the eyes and such a smooth talker? What else can it be? She's completely clueless. I don't get it.

I love Michigan. I think it's a great place to live and raise a family. I've lived here my whole life and have never given any serious thought to leaving, but the way things are going if the right offer came along I might just entertain the idea of bolting myself. How depressing.

2 comments:

Paul Hue said...

Six: Even more bizarrely, it's Kwame in Detroit who is leading the charge to reduce taxes! He seems genuinely committed to erasing the stupide Detroit income tax, and in halving the city's doubly high property tax rate (the state's highest, and double the region's average). It would be great if it was Detroit's leaders (if the city council can see the light) that led Michigan's resurgance.

Paul Hue said...

My real estate buddy points out that the winning $130,000 bid probably got rejected by the bank auctioning the house. This buddy -- Nadir & my friend Andrew -- won a bid like this and was much closer to the asking price, and it got rejected by the bank. That was at least 6 months ago and that house remains vacant and for-sale (it was a $200,000 house in Westland; Andrew bid about $150,000). The failure of the reporter to include this info reveals great ignorance on his/her part.