2006-01-19

Racism in Coaching?

The Lions picked another honkey for their coach. The league is 40-60% black. Racism is the only explanation I can find to explain why the coaching and manegarial staffs do not reflect the player racial make-up. These leagues used to be 100% honkey, when blacks were banned from playing. Now the barriers to playing have lifted, and a natural, stable fraction of black participation has been established, at rates far above the black population of 12%. What else but racism can explain the coaching and managarial staffs have not reached these same levels of black participation? Perhaps the trend is alleviating this disparity. Last week I think that 3 of the 8 remaining teams had black head coaches.

5 comments:

Nadir said...

I am most upset that Millen didn't go hire a name head coach with a track record of winning. Racism isn't an issue. Hire a winner.

Paul Hue said...

I admit to practicing some forms of racism: I was eagerly rooting for two black coaches to meet in the super bowl, and doing so because they are black. I was very disappointed that they all lost.

I follow sports just a bit, but it seems that the obscure hires (like this one) only go to honkeys.

A good point for you to make here, Nadir, is this: Since I recognize racism in this industry, my claims that racism in the rest of society are relitively minor, I am therefore proposing that our society would have racism existing to an appreciable extent only in special institutions. I recognize the paradox here. How could a society produce a sports industry that significantly descriminates against blacks, but nearly all other industries do not? I have no answer for this other than to recognize this as a hole in my argument.

Nadir said...

I didn't comment on racism in football coaching. I commented on the Lions' need to win some games regardless of the coach or his race.

I don't assume that racism was involved in this coaching decision. I believe Matt Millen is a poor general manager. There were black coaches he could have hired and there are other white coaches he could have hired. The bottom line is, they need to win next year.

Unknown said...

I'm with Nadir on this one. As a matter of fact, I would say that of the top five coaches in the NFL right now, two or three of them are black.

Millen's a moron.

I think the only prerequisite to chosen by him to be head coach is that your last name begin with the letter M.

Nadir said...

That's an interesting and amusing observation.