In person, including if I am in your cube at work, if you are in my cube, if we are driving together, walking together at the mall, visiting each other's home, etc.:
1. If your cell phone rings, you may glance at the incoming number and hit the "end" button; you may answer only in special circumstances, say if you are a parent and you see that your kid is calling, or if you are expecting someone to meet you, or if your job calls. In such a case, prior to answering the call, you must excuse yourself, provide me a brief explanation, and then make your call quick. You may certainly not blindly answer every call, interupting our time together.
2. No clever cell phone rings; vibrate, please, or a low-volume "old fashioned" ring, preferably only after vibrate has failed to alert you, followed by volume that increases, so that you get alerted with the minimum disturbance to the life around you.
- Clever ring: Non-stop blasting of "Afternoon Delight" or "I'm Coming Out"
- Old-fashioned ring: alternating between 2 second ring and 8 merciful seconds of silence.
3. You may not have any earphones engaged (cell phone or ipod) when you are conversing with me.
4. If I sneeze, DO NOT BLESS ME. If you want to bless me, instead of wasting my time "blessing" me and waiting for my "thank you" when I'm involutarily overcome by a sneeze, just honor my other rules.
On the phone with me:
1. If we are talking on the phone, if you get an incoming call, see Rule 1 above for talking to me in person. You may not interupt our discussion with every call that you receive.
2. If you place me on hold, I will count to 10, then hangup. If you call me back, see rule 3.
3. If you call me, I will not answer if I am speaking with another person, in person or on the phone; get in line. I'll attend my phone calls in the order that they're received. If I'm busy, I will not answer just to tell you that I'm busy; I'll hit the "end" button and call you when I have phone time.
4. I will tolerate no extensive voice greetings instructing me how to use voice mail, informing me of the number that I just dialed (which is displayed on my own phone), or telling me to have a nice or blessed day. When your voice greeting starts, I will press "1", and if that doesn't get me to a recorder, I will leave no message.
Have a blessed day!