2006-08-09

American Apathy Prevails

Other nations beg for the right to go to the polls, but Americans are apathetic about voting.

Did you vote in yesterday's primary? As expected, turnout was underwhelming.

Paul's affirmative action candidate, jackleg preacher Keith Butler, seems to have lost his bid for Senate. His ads imploring Detroiters to vote GOP and ignore the Democratic primaries
in straight ticket Michigan apparently didn't work. Funny that he didn't come out and say, "I'm a Republican" on those radio ads...

Meanwhile Detroiters proved once again that they vote on name recognition when a young man who went by the moniker
Joel Loving a few short months ago was elected to the state legislature. He changed his name to Coleman Young, Jr. in an effort to advance his political career, and it's working for him. He unseated incumbent Maureen Stapleton in the Democratic primary. The former Detroit mayor denied the child was his when he was born to a woman in California who was not Coleman Young's wife. I wonder if the mayor is a smiling proud papa now...

I'm upset that Cynthia McKinney lost her primary bid to retain her congressional seat in Georgia, but hopefully now she will leave the traitors in the Democratic party behind for good. They have shown her nothing but contempt over the last 5 years though she is a strong voice for real change in America. A true leader. She will probably do a better job outside the elective realm. The voters in Georgia get what they wanted, Hank Johnson, a self-proclaimed "pothole politician" who won't rock the boat and will lay down and let the political machine run him over.

Joe Lieberman lost his primary perhaps giving a boost to the anti-war wing of the Democratic party in the push toward the polls in November. Bush's buddy, Joe, will run as an independent, and may succeed since he could easily pull votes from both the Republican and Democratic sides of the electorate.

Who says politics is boring?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I voted. Did you?

Unknown said...

By the way, missed you at Kris and Mia's on Sunday. Shoulda been there. There was a fun guitar kam at the end of the evening.

Unknown said...

Jam that is, not kam. My bad.

Paul Hue said...

I didn't even know that the primaries were yesterday! I knew that Lieberman and McKinney were up yesterday, and I'd been rooting for Butler, but somehow the day passed without me realizing to go vote for him.

I am very disappointed that the republicans didn't support him. However, he did disagree with most republicans on a few issues, such as affirmative action and minimum wages. I think his strategy of attracting black democrat voters could work in a general election, but apparently not in a primary. The black marriage to leftist candidates is eroding, though, I am sure.

Unknown said...

I voted for Butler. Sad to see he didn't win. I like what I've read and heard about him and from him. Seems like a very upstanding guy.

Bouchard has good qualifications as well though. It would have been a real feather in the cap for the Repos if Butler had won.

Unknown said...

By the way, this crap about "it's a weekday" and "people are working" as excuses for not voting is a load of horsesh*t. I went on my lunch hour and was in and out in about 10 minutes if that.

I agree, Nadir. American's apathy towards one the most precious rights there is, the right to cast a free vote, is sickening.

Nadir said...

I voted around 2pm and there was nobody in our precinct. The poll workers said almost no young people had voted.

"By the way, this crap about "it's a weekday" and "people are working" as excuses for not voting is a load of horsesh*t. I went on my lunch hour and was in and out in about 10 minutes if that."

There are no lines BECAUSE it's a weekday. I think voting would increase at least slightly if it was done on a Saturday or Sunday, though many Americans would resent having to vote on their day off.

I also think voting would increase without the oppressive two-party system. Neither the Democrats nor the Republicans represent me, so I vote for the candidate least likely to screw thing up. It didn't make me excited about casting my ballot yesterday.

Nadir said...

Keith Butler is a jackleg preacher and radical right-wing nut. Since you both are big supporters of his, you should to his church on Sunday and show your support there. I'm sure he and Jesus would appreciate it.

Unknown said...

"Keith Butler is a jackleg preacher and radical right-wing nut. Since you both are big supporters of his, you should to his church on Sunday and show your support there. I'm sure he and Jesus would appreciate it."

Nice demonstration of your religious intolerance Nadir. I trust you'd be just as concerned had he been running as a sharia-endorsing, death-cult, suicide-bomber apologist mullah.

Probably not though. You'd find a way to rationalize that I'm sure.

Paul Hue said...

I'm irreligous, and oppose those Big Box churches like the one that Butler has, and consider people suckers for stuffing his pockets. But most such black churches vote democrat. I support him because he's a repo.

I think I know why Americans don't vote: because they are content (despite survey ranking them the 150th happiest nation). And I think I know why Americans have a two-party system: they're happy with it. When candidates speak candidly and take bold stands, they fail to draw a majority of votes. Americans have a democracy, and they are getting what they want: two bland parties.

If Americans could only eat at the same restaurant by means of a popular vote (vote today for the restaurant everyone will have to eat at for the next year), only two restaurants would exist: Bennigans and TGI Fridays, with the loser each hear spending its time revamping for another election.

Nadir said...

I'm tolerant of individual spirituality and of all religions. I am intolerant of clergy of all stripes who lead their people away from spirituality. Criticism of a clergyman isn't criticism of a church or of religion. I have friends who attend that church. I have not problem with them or their beliefs.

I am also critical of jackleg imams and rabbis.

I think most Americans don't vote because they believe it won't do any good. They are frustrated with the choices and feel their single vote doesn't make a difference when corporate interests buy the elections and the politicians.

"If Americans could only eat at the same restaurant by means of a popular vote (vote today for the restaurant everyone will have to eat at for the next year), only two restaurants would exist: Bennigans and TGI Fridays, with the loser each hear spending its time revamping for another election."

I disagree. This is a McDonald's and Pizza Hut country for sure.