2006-06-22

Army takes older recruits


The U.S. Army, aiming to make its recruiting goals amid the Iraq war, raised its maximum enlistment age by another two years on Wednesday, while the Army Reserve predicted it will miss its recruiting target for a second straight year.

People can now volunteer to serve in the active-duty Army or the part-time Army Reserve and National Guard up to their 42nd birthday after the move aimed at increasing the number of people eligible to sign up, officials said.

It marked the second time this year the Army has boosted the maximum age for new volunteers, raising the ceiling from age 35 to 40 in January before now adding two more years.

Paul and Slinger: Give it another couple of months, and they may raise the age high enough for you guys to volunteer after all...

3 comments:

Paul Hue said...

Nadir: I thought you objected to the lack of republican's children serving, not eliminating excuses for their own selves not serving! Now you guys can chide sub-42 repos for not joining up themselves.

Nadir said...

I don't want to chide you for not volunteering. I want you to sign up and go fight.

You guys started this war. You should fight it. Our soldiers over there need the help. If you really support the troops, then give them real support - military support.

Paul Hue said...

I think that you have a good point here, but not a perfect one. Certainly we supporters of the war must concede that the archetects of the war (Bush, Cheney, Rummy, Wolfy) were themselves draft-dodgers during the Vietnam war. In my assessment, this does not exclude them from concocting and executing a successful and helpful war. But credibility demands a concesssion of this point, I reckon.

As far as requiring all eligable supporters of the war to volunteer themselves, I do concede this as a logical point, and a valid point, but ultimately no more of a requirement for war than requiring the govt leaders of a war to have themselves served.

A few months after 911 I did call an army recruiter's office, to enquire about my eligability. I have served years ago in the reserves (passed basic training in SC), and in ROTC. At the time, age 35 was the cut-off, and I missed that, though I was then below 40. In Jan 20006 when they raised it to 40, I had by then exceeded 40, but not yet reached 42. That sad milestone occured Jun18, just a few days prior to this new age hike.

I do plan to call and inquire about some leniency. If I can keep my house while on active duty, I would certainly consider taking a commission and going over there to ensure against US war crimes and turture. I have no doubt that in a OTC (Officer's Training Camp), I could hang with or exceed 98% of the 24-year-old fellas out of college in physical training.