2006-06-30

Frank Sinatra, Elvis, and Hank Williams - That's it

Last night on a talk show, Hank Williams, Jr appeared for an interview. He declared, "In American music, there's Frank Sinatra, Elvis, and Hank Williams (my dad) -- that's it! You have those three guys, and you got everything."

Is this the stupidest proclaimation ever? Sinatra made some songs that simbolize an era and very common American mood, which are known virtually by all. I can think of nothing to give Elvis, except that he was good and successful at what he did, but I would never want to hear any of his music, ever. Hank Williams? I barely have any knowledge that he even existed.

2 comments:

Nadir said...

Hank Williams Sr. was a bad mutha-shut-yo-mouf.

Hank Williams Jr. is a joke. I can tell you stories about him that have been relayed to me by recording engineers who worked with him in Nashville that paint him as a no talent drunk.

I won't even comment on his claim. He's an idiot, and this statement proves it.

Paul Hue said...

I have no reason to elivate or revile HW Sr. Before Ray Charles died I did not know how important he was, but at least I recognized a few of his songs. Prior to Johnny Cash dying, I knew some songs, but hadn't appreciated him. The same is true for me of Frank Sinatra. I'm certain that I'll never appreciate Elvis.

Of these people mentioned, it seems that only Ray Charles was a pioneer who created something that led to others basing their careers on it. It seems to me that Cash and Sinatra mastered a form of music that already existed, and did so in a way that resonates with me profoundly. Elvis also mastered an existing music format, but not in a way that connects with me.

I am open to HW Sr. But HW Sr seems like an idiot.